I took a big step today–not only did I cook a main dish, I made an entire meal. Not in true Lindsay form, but I’m taking this whole learning to cook thing to heart.
Tonight’s menu: Stuffed Peppers and Green Beans with Goat Cheese.
Stuffed Peppers Ingredients
- 1 lb lean chopped turkey meat
- 1 garlic, minced
- 1/4 onion, minced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- salt to taste
- 3 large sweet red bell peppers, washed
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1/4 cup reduced fat shredded cheese
- Preheat over to 400°. Spray non-stick spray in a medium size saute pan on medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and cilantro to plan. Saute for 2 minutes and add ground turkey. Season with salt, garlic powder, and cumin. Brown meat.
- Add tomato sauce and 1/2 cup of chicken broth. Mix well and simmer on low for 5 minutes. Add cooked rice.
- Cut bell peppers in half and remove all seeds. Spoon in meat mixture into each pepper, filling pepper full. Place stuffed peppers in the baking dish and pour the remainder of the chicken broth on the bottom of the pan. Top with shredded cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 35 minutes.
Source: Skinny Taste
Green Beans with Goat Cheese Ingredients
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 (4-oz.) goat cheese log, crumbled (can substitute with feta cheese)
Preheat oven to 350°. Bake almonds in a single layer in a shallow pan 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through.
Cook green beans in boiling salted water to cover 6 to 8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain. Run cold water over beans to stop the cooking process. Drain.
Whisk together vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add olive oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly until blended and smooth. Add cherry tomatoes, shallots, garlic, and green beans. Toss to coat dressing.
Top green bean mixture with crumbled goat cheese and toasted almonds.
Source: My Recipes
I’ve made the side dish for Thanksgiving and got great reviews. Now whenever my parents come to visit, my dad requests this for a side dish at least once during the weekend. It’s a nice refreshing salad that is perfect for the summer. It paired well with the stuffed peppers. Great dinner full of veggies 🙂