While I was studying for the bar, I wanted fast and easy homemade meals. Our freezer was full of ground turkey so I decided to cook it up, mix it together with pasta, cheese, and herbs and turn it into a bake. Matt feel in love with the meal, begging me to remake it. So after making various versions of the pasta bake, I decided it was time for a vegetarian bake.
Our fridge is becoming increasingly more full of fresh veggies from our garden every day so I cut up our multi-colored zucchinis, some basil, green onions, and jalapenos, mix them with some cheese, spinach, and dried herbs. and the cheesy zucchini bake was born!
- 2 large yellow or green (or both) zucchinis, mooned or sliced
- 1 cup spinach
- 2-4 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil (depending on how much you like the flavor of basil)
- 2 Tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup + 1/2 cup low-fat white cheese (some to mix in and some for sprinkling on later)
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated Parmesan
- salt and black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut zucchinis in moon shapes and place in medium-sized bowl. Add chopped basil, green onions, dried thyme, garlic powder, spinach, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix in 1/2 cup of white cheese and Parmesan cheese. Mix until zucchinis are well-mixed with herbs and cheese.
Put mixture in baking dish and bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes.
After zucchini is nearly cooked through, add remaining 1/2 cup cheese on top and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and zucchini is fully baked. Serve hot and enjoy!
Modified from Kalyn’s Kitchen