I bought quinoa almost a two years ago. I tried to make it and completely failed. Either I cooked it too long, not long enough, or I did it right and couldn’t even recognize it. Either way, I gave up. Put the bag in my cupboard and forgot that I even had it at all. Until earlier this month. People kept pinning all these recipes with quinoa as the staple. It was time to bring my cupboard quinoa out of retirement and try to make something. So I picked some herbs from my garden, threw all the veggies we had in the crisper together, and tossed a dressing. It was delicious. Now I can see what all the fuss was about.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup green pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1 cup cucumbers, cubed
- 1/2 jalapeno, diced
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh chives
- 1 Tablespoon fresh basil
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 Tablespoon fresh mint
- 1 handful kalamata olives, halved
- Salt and Pepper to taste
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- Heat olive oil in saucepan. Add quinoa and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the quinoa smells nutty. Add water and mix. Bring mixture to a boil and then lower heat to simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until water is evaporated.
- While the quinoa is cooking, whisk together all ingredients for the dressing. Set aside.
- After quinoa is cooled, mix together the vegetables and herbs. Add in dressing and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well and enjoy!
- For more of a Greek flare, add in feta cheese.
Makes approximately 5 cups. 1 cup per serving. 8 WW Plus Points per serving.