Cinco de Mayo is right around the corner, and I couldn’t be more excited. While I do not need a holiday to enjoy a margarita or delicious Mexican food, I can definitely get behind the idea to have a day devoted to it. Unfortunately, people have the tendency to associate great Mexican food with deep fried options. But that doesn’t have to be the case! I am in the middle of law school finals (last time EVER!) and to a lot of people that means gorging on unhealthy snack food and injecting coffee straight to the veins. I do not want to become victim to this habit, but it’s really hard. Sitting at your computer for hours at a time, pouring over case books, statutes, and outlines, it is tempting to run down to the vending machine and stock up. But don’t worry that you’ll find yourself hiding in a study carrel shoving Cheetos in your face (it’s hard to hide the evidence when your fingers are stained orange). This refreshing side salad is a great study snack that will keep the less healthy snacks at bay. It pairs well with baked tortilla chip and has a little bit of sweet and salty.
- 15 oz canned black beans, rinsed
- 15 oz canned hominy, rinsed
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 medium jalapeno, minced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine beans, hominy, tomatoes, pepper, onion, cilantro, and jalapeno.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, honey, oil, cumin, and salt. Pour over bean mixture and toss well. Enjoy!
This dish serves 6. Yields approximately 3/4 cup per serving. 3 Weight Watcher’s Plus Points per serving.
Source: Weight Watcher’s
love it. Lindsay..good luck! Sitting having Moscato with your mom!