I may have an unhealthy love of basil. I use it almost daily, and my herb garden can’t grow it fast enough. To me, it’s what healthy eating is-fresh, bold, and poignant. My insides feel cleansed whenever it’s in my food. Might be all in my head.
As a lover of sandwiches, I’ve been trying to find great sandwich recipes that include basil and travel well. Like many students, my lunch is made at 7:00 a.m. No one wants a sandwich that is all soggy by noon. If that unsoggy sandwich includes basil, even better. This sandwich has only four ingredients that travel well so you can bring all the ingredients with you and easily assemble it when you are ready to eat. No need to live solely on pb&j’s anymore!
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 inches of French bread, sliced in half
- 1 oz fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2 large leaves of fresh basil
- 2 slices tomatoes
- Combine vinegar, oil, cumin, salt and pepper in small bowl. Mix well. Place in small to-go container or spread directly on bread if eating immediately.
- Place tomatoes, cheese, and basil on bread and enjoy! I personally am a huge pan of fresh ground pepper so I sprinkle some extra directly on the cheese.
- If you are making this sandwich to travel, place basil on bread. In a separate sandwich bag, place mozzarella and tomato. Assemble sandwich when ready to eat.
Serves 1. Yields one sandwich. 7 Weight Watcher’s Plus Points per serving.